- Working Title :
- Associate Director of Marketing - Telemarketing Director
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Marketing and Communications
- Salary :
- $50,000 - $60,000
- Reports To :
- Director of Marketing, Office of University Development
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
Associate Director of Marketing – Telemarketing Director
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Michigan Telefund call center is responsible for close to $3 million in annual gifts and employs over 100 students. It is an automated outbound call center that calls on behalf the University, its campuses and units. The Associate Director provides comprehensive leadership and management for Michigan’s entire telemarketing program, including strategic planning, staff, budget, computer system, and vendor management.
Works with unit development officers, deans, directors, department heads, or development services personnel as needed to plan and efficiently implement annual giving programs. Supervises day-to-day efforts of the Telefund team, including Assistant Director, Administrative Assistant, student managers, and student fundraisers.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of OUD and of the university, and in building positive and meaningful relationships with co-workers and constituents.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
25% - Departmental Leadership, Mission, and Telemarketing Strategic Plan
- Owns and builds marketing strategy for telemarketing efforts, creating revenue and service sources across campus through intentional strategic and collaborative partnerships.
- Works with AG Leadership Team to create, enhance, and carry out Telefund strategic business plan and office systems to improve level of service, office efficiency, program results, and unit coordination.
- Uses direct telemarketing best practices to consistently improve process, performance and efficiency
- Responsible for marketing brand, plan and execution of Michigan Telefund.
- Actively promotes donor-centric approaches to telefundraising that take a holistic view of university communications and solicitations. Seek opportunities for collaboration and cooperation with units and departments, while achieving strong results for client units.
- Defines and monitors appropriate parameters for program success in both dollars and donor participation.
- Manages administration of Telefund budget, policies, and procedures.
45% - Telefundraising Management
- Manages the Assistant Director of Telefund and the Telefund Administrative Assistant. Provides leadership, sets and evaluates individual goals and standards of excellence to ensure optimal results in professional initiatives and objectives, quality of service to alumni and clients and productive coordination of work with colleagues in the U-M Development Community. Develops and sustains appropriate training and mentoring. Assigns and monitors coverage of primary areas of focus.
- Responsible for the long term health and role of the University of Michigan Telefund operations as well as the day-to-day operations of the Michigan Telefund call center.
- Provides telefundraising expertise, including regular, value-added analysis and program review.
- Monitors and evaluates program results, market research, and other data to identify new strategic opportunities.
- Implement recruitment, selection, training and motivational strategies for student fundraising staff.
- Develop strategic plan to establish, and achieve annual giving goals.
- Manage Telefund budget with a focus on efficiency.
- Consistently review short- and long-term goals and re-evaluate overall productivity for the call center.
- Maintain a professional, enjoyable and productive atmosphere.
- Consistently enforce all call center policies and procedures.
- Maintain interface with prospect database, calling software, and electronic data management standards.
- Prepare calling materials, such as talking points and objection response, and other support materials.
- Work with Annual Giving team to plan solicitation calendars for various stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain various daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports.
- Develop and implement plan to utilize RuffaloCODY’s CampusCall software as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Work closely with the Human Resources staff on HR and payroll-related issues and to ensure proper policies and procedures are followed at all times.
15% - Production Process
- Partners with other marketing and annual giving teams to plan, create, schedule, execute and evaluate productive, high-quality, cost-effective annual fund phone projects for units and university-wide initiatives.
- Conducts quality control checks on all calls.
- Working closely with Project Management team, monitors production process to ensure deadlines are met and project goals achieved.
5% - Industry Knowledge
Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the Annual Giving and telefundraising fields. This includes:
- Participating in peer networking opportunities
- Participating in professional education opportunities
- Monitoring of Annual Giving trade publications and websites
5% - Donor Stewardship
Participates in the ongoing stewardship of donors utilizing a donor-centric approach. This includes:
- Responding to donor inquiries and concerns as appropriate
- Routing donor inquiries and concerns as appropriate
- Considering and applying methods for donor acknowledgement and education
5% - Additional Duties
- Assists with training and orientation of new staff members
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned
- Approximately three years telemarketing experience – B2B or B2C including call center management expertise
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
- A history of innovative, strategic solutions to marketing challenges.
- Experience providing customer service in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Working knowledge of personal computers, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Experience in team environment and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to program
- Ability to work non-traditional work hours
- Demonstrated level of professional maturity
- Fundraising experience
- Sales experience
- Knowledge of university systems, practices and policies
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.