- Working Title :
- Events Assistant
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Event Planning
- Salary :
- $31,000 - $32,000
- Reports To :
- Administrative and Financial Coordinator, Office of University and Development Events
- Experience Range :
- 0 to 2 Years
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Events Assistant will provide assistance in the planning and execution of logistics for development, ceremonial, and presidential events. Primary responsibilities include guest list management and distribution of reports, providing front-line customer service to guests, and production of event materials. The Events Assistant will provide telephone and reception desk coverage to internal and external constituents, as well as on site support services to event guests and participants.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
85% Event Support:
* Manage event databases for tracking guest attendance, including daily input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
* Prepare printed items for events, including: menu cards, name tags, and place cards.
* Create event documents including agendas, memos, maps, drawings, and other informational materials.
* Schedule event planning meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes.
* Create and maintain event file resources on a per event basis, including distribution of event materials to University archives, organization of electronic files on shared network, and storage of photographs, videos, etc.
* Assist Events Managers, as needed, including: vendor follow-up, preparation of University forms and requisitions, etc.
* Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
15% Office Support:
* Telephone and reception desk coverage
* Serve as `Operations Mentor' to new team members, including coordination of office, computer, and telephone equipment; training and orientation schedules; keys; etc.
* Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: photocopying, preparing envelopes, scheduling deliveries, department errands, filing, etc.
* Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events.
* Direct supervision is received from the Administrative and Financial Coordinator
* A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
* Minimum 1-2 years demonstrated office experience required.
* Team approach is required.
* Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
* Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
* Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
* Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
* Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software, especially MS Visio and MS Access software.
* Candidate must have experience in gathering information through various methods, including the telephone, e-mail, Internet, and in-person visits.
* Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures is desirable.
Office of University and Development Events Value Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates meaningful experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.