- Working Title :
- Prospect Development Specialist
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Prospect Development and Analytics
- Salary :
- $55,000 - $65,000
- Reports To :
- Associate Director of Prospect Development
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
Prospect Development Specialist
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
****This is a 2-year term limited position. *****
The Prospect Development Specialist will assist in the design and implementation of procedures that facilitate the identification and movement of prospective donors toward major gift solicitation. The Prospect Development Specialist will also assist in the design and implementation of ongoing processes for the effective and strategic use of data and analyses in prospect development.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Prospect Development (60%)
* Working with the Associate Director of Prospect Development, provide counsel and guidance in strategically, consistently and systematically using information and analysis in the development of fundraising efforts and prospecting programs, coordinating additional OUD resources where needed.
* Collaborate with Prospect Development and Analytics staff on all new prospect identification initiatives in order to combine proactive research, data analyses and other techniques to develop a series of strategies and tactics to identify new pools of prospects and to inform development staff of segmentation and prospect pool management strategies.
* Conduct proactive outreach to help teams in selected/targeted schools, colleges and units to operationalize their use of information and data analyses for prospect development. Work with these teams to create data-driven prospect development plans and methodologies using tools that include: Portfolio Optimization, Prospect Profiling, Pipeline Management and Metrics Reporting.
* Collaborate with Development Services on systems-related issues, including developing custom reports and end user tools, as well as the creation and use of codes and screens within the central database to help capture and track information specific to prospect development strategies.
* Promote and support data-driven decision making within the development community.
* Monitor, analyze and report on prospect development data maintained in the central database.
* Help promote effective prospect management across the entire development community.
Communications, Training and Professional Knowledge (30%)
* Create and recommend unit-focused action plans that increase knowledge and use of modeling/screening analytics and other prospect data.
* Assist with the design and implementation of a community-wide communications plan for disseminating all matters pertaining to prospect development and pipeline reporting.
* Assist with the development and execution of community-wide training on prospect development data policies and procedures.
* Continually audit best practices among peer institutions, suggesting modifications as needed.
* Assume responsibility for meeting and maintaining the standards set forth in the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA) Skill Sets in Relationship Management.
* Participate at an appropriate level in professional associations such as APRA and CASE, both to increase knowledge and skills and to develop and maintain professional relationships with prospect development professionals outside of UM.
Administrative and Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
* Assist in the maintenance of written policies and procedures for prospect program development.
* Assist members of the development community with requests for help and/or information while providing excellent customer service. Collaborate with the Associate Director of Prospect Development and the Prospect Management Coordinator to determine the proper course of action when problems arise.
* Safeguard the confidentiality of donor information at all times. Uphold departmental policies regarding confidential information. Adhere to ethical and confidentiality guidelines of both the University and the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA).
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary. Advanced degree preferred.
* Minimum three to five years of prospect research, development, fundraising, market research and/or relevant experience.
* Proven research and analytical knowledge, emphasizing the ability to gather, evaluate and synthesize complex and large sets of data from various sources and present information in a clear and cohesive manner. Must demonstrate ability to present information in formal and informal settings and impart understanding of complex ideas to others.
* Demonstrated track record of data-driven, strategic and creative approaches to prospect identification and collaboration with frontline fundraisers, teammates, and senior level management preferred.
* Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive information with the highest degree of confidentiality.
* Well-developed interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills; exceptional customer services skills.
* Strong computing and technical skills, including familiarity with a networked environment, familiarity with Internet and word processing, spreadsheet, database and other applications.
* Knowledge of/or ability to learn best practices in development, fundraising and community service as recommended by related umbrella organizations such as APRA and CASE.
* Familiarity with University policies and procedures.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.