- Working Title :
- Office Assistant, UDE
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Salary :
- $28,000 - $30,000
- Reports To :
- Administrative and Financial Coordinator
- Experience Range :
- 0 to 2 Years
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Office Assistant will assist with the production of print and electronic event communication materials, including creation of electronic registration forms, in-house printing, compilation of mailing lists, and distribution. This person will also oversee inventory of department invitation stock and serve as a community resource for supplier referrals.
The Office Assistant will provide telephone and reception desk coverage to internal and external constituents, as well as general administrative and office support to the Office of University and Development Events. This person will also assist in the planning and execution of logistics for development, ceremonial, and presidential events. Primary responsibilities include guest list management and distribution of reports, providing front-line customer service to guests, and production of event materials.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
45% Communication Production Support:
* Create electronic registration forms
* Assist with in-house printing
* Assist with compilation of mailing lists (U.S. Mail, e-mail, or both)
* Assist with mailing and distribution of invitations
* Draft, produce, and distribute scripts and Marshal Instructions for annual events, including: New Student Convocation, Winter Commencement, Honors Convocation, University Graduate Exercises, and Spring Commencement, as well as for other one-time events.
* Manage invitation stock inventory, including name tags, place cards, menu cards, etc.
30% Event Support (5% August-November):
* Manage event databases for tracking guest attendance, including daily input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
* Prepare printed items for events, including: menu cards, name tags, and place cards.
* Create event documents including agendas, memos, maps, drawings, and other informational materials.
* Schedule event planning meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes.
* Create and maintain event file resources on a per event basis, including distribution of event materials to University archives, organization of electronic files on shared network, and storage of photographs, videos, etc.
* Assist Events Managers, as needed, including: vendor follow-up, travel arrangements, preparation of University forms and requisitions, etc.
* Manage stock inventory and rental of academic attire for 5 annual events.
* Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
25% Office Management (10% August-November):
* Telephone and reception desk coverage
* Production and distribution of monthly calendar of events and related reports
* Maintain department website
* Maintain database and photo reference file of University leadership
* Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: photocopying, preparing envelopes, scheduling deliveries, department errands, filing, etc.
Ticket Management (40% August-November):
* Assist the Football Ticket Manager in the allocation, recording, and distribution of football tickets for all home and away football games, ranging from 300-1200 tickets per game, as well as tickets for a bowl game.
* Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events.
* A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
* Minimum 1-2 years demonstrated office experience required.
* Team approach is required.
* Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
* Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
* Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
* Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
* Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software, especially MS Visio and MS Access software.
* Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures is desirable.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.