- Working Title :
- Business Coordinator
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Finance and Administration
- Salary :
- $45,000 - $55,000
- Reports To :
- Senior Director, Finance and Administration
- Experience Range :
- 5 to 7 Years
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Business Coordinator's responsibilities include assisting the Senior Director of Finance and Administration with the annual budget review and analysis, and financial auditing, tracking and reporting of expenditures for assigned departmental units. This includes assisting with the review, analysis and preparation of the annual operating budget for departments, based on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, and expense reports. Reconciles monthly Statement of Activity. The Business Coordinator handles sensitive and confidential Human Resources responsibilities, including processing of HR paperwork and assisting with HR questions and issues. Participates as part of a collaborative team and contributes to the team?s success by sharing the benefits and knowledge from previous experience.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
General Ledger Management (40%)
* Monitor monthly the reconciliation of the statement of activity across assigned departmental units. Review transactions for correct classification and relevance of expenditures and revenues. Take corrective action to ensure errors are resolved.
* Process journal upload as needed.
* Run monthly and quarterly financial reports in Business Objects.
* Prepare monthly non-salary variance reports for assigned units.
* Process requests to change and/or add chartfields.
* Work/meet with unit Managers/Directors in developing, understanding and monitoring their budget.
* Extract financial data from University systems, analyze data and prepare reports. Prepare and run various ad-hoc expense reports for a variety of cost tracking and analysis review. Basic understanding and experience of the use of Business Objects General Ledger, HR, Payroll and Procurement Systems, MReports, and eReconciliation is desirable.
* Oversee Unit requests for voucher and Purchase Orders (PO) payments for $10,000 and more, processed by Financial Administrative Coordinator. Review PO invoices and travel and hosting reimbursement request for fund availability. For Purchase Order requests that exceed $10,000 and/or require a Request For Quote, act as liaison, working with Units and Procurement, to complete required documents and processes and ensure compliance with University and Development policies.
* Oversee check deposits.
* Audit and approve online Concur Expense reports for Management Team members in assigned departments for compliance with the University and Development policies, as well as verifying accurate account coding and chartfield distribution.
* Serve as subject matter expert and counselor for Concur to ensure new employees are trained by their home department for processing Concur Expense Reports.
* With Finance & Administration team, review travel and hosting guidelines and individual card limits annually, and revise as necessary - conduct training with P-Card holders, where required, to ensure University and OUD policies are understood.
Human Resource (20%)
* Handle sensitive and confidential HR issues.
* Process personnel changes in Wolverine Access Human Resource system for new, reclassified and open positions. Process and submit Additional Pay for biweekly and monthly employees.
* Oversee job posting in eRecruit by Financial Administrative Coordinator.
* Prepare payments to individuals through People Pay system
* Review, track, and process tuition reimbursements, terminations, and moving expense reimbursements.
* Meet with OUD staff and supervisor in regards to leaves of absences to ensure time off is processed appropriately. Knowledge and understanding of University leave policies, as well as the Family Medical Leave Act, is desirable. Initiate Work Connections and Leave paperwork for staff.
* Review and assist with online time entry. Reconcile Gross Pay Registers for correct pay, effort, vacation and sick time usage. Resolve any discrepancies with Payroll. Assist staff with questions or concerns regarding their pay and accrual usage.
Other Analytical Projects/Responsibilities (20%)
* Identify areas where special analytical attention is required including identification of issues, comparing/evaluating courses of action, and leading decision making through implementation.
* Serve as lead analyst of Budget requirements and allocations for assigned units ? providing insights on the needs of the units and identifying trends and unique requirements.
* Provide assistance and back-up coverage for Assistant Director and the other Business Coordinator. Assist with training and assistance for new staff within Finance and Administration.
* Participate in the review and writing of OUD 'best business practices' policies and procedures, e.g. vehicle, travel, hosting.
* Review OUD cash handling and credit card processes to ensure OUD is in compliance with University guidelines.
* Perform other financial and administrative duties and special projects as required to meet fiscal year goals.
* Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* 5-8 years of administrative/financial experience, preferably from within the University of Michigan.
* Reasonable knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and Access.
* Must be dependable and exercise initiative and sound judgment.
* Demonstrate strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently and within a group environment.
* Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality. Many aspects of this position are confidential, and must be treated as such.
* Ability to work extra hours as needed.
* Strong working knowledge and experience with the MPathways General Ledger module, the Procurement module, Business Objects Data Warehouse and the Wolverine Access HR module.
* Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.